Although the inspiration for the foundation of St. Croix Lutheran Academy goes back to January 1957, the Twin City Lutheran High School Association was not officially formed until June 1958. At that time the first instructor, who also served as the first principal, was called, and high school classes for the first academic year, 1958-59, were conducted in the basement of St. James Lutheran Church, West St. Paul.
In 1960, the student body and faculty moved into the first permanent school building on the campus at 110 Crusader Avenue, West St. Paul. In 1965, the second building, containing additional classrooms and a gymnasium, was erected. These two units were combined with the addition of a library and multi-purpose room in 1975.
In 1990, the physical expansion of St. Croix Lutheran took a dramatic turn. A major fundraising/expansion campaign was inaugurated, with the goal of completing much-needed expansion and renovation of the existing facility. The price tag was high and fervent prayers were directed to our omnipotent Lord to make the vision possible. Midway through the campaign, the Lord answered our prayers in a wonderful way. Archbishop Brady High School, located two miles northeast of the Crusader Avenue site, was closed and placed on the market for sale. Because the Brady school property was much larger and met all current and future needs at a cost substantially less than expanding the Crusader site, the purchase of the new campus on Oakdale Avenue was completed in April 1992.
After thousands of hours of work by hundreds of volunteers, and with the necessary contracted work completed by professionals, the Oakdale Avenue site was renovated and remodeled, and a beautiful “new” and expanded St. Croix Lutheran was ready for the first day of school in September of 1992.
Since moving into the new building, God has allowed the school to expand in many ways:
1998 - Dormitory opens to house international students.
1999 - International program begins.
2002 - Outdoor athletic facilities are added and updated.
2005 - The St. Croix Lutheran chapel is added and dedicated.
2009 - The middle school is opened.
2015 - The 152-bed dormitory is added and dedicated.
2017 - The school name is modified to St. Croix Lutheran Academy.
As more and more young people and their parents come to appreciate the value of a Christian secondary education, planning continues for expansion of facilities; curricular and extra-curricular offerings; and additional staff members to accommodate increasing enrollment. The Lord has truly blessed the devotion to Christian education of the founding fathers and those who took up their lead. May the devotion and concern of the present and future generations continue to provide for this ongoing ministry to young people and their families.
Discover what SCL has to offer by visiting our campus. We invite and encourage all prospective students to visit, and shadow a current student for a day in order to truly appreciate what a difference a SCL education makes.